LG has unveiled its new G6 smartphone at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona that has managed to fit an even larger screen into a regular size device to meet our screen-centric demands.
LG’s G6 has a 5.7-inch FullVision display that’s housed in a 5.3-inch body to offer customers the bigger screen they want without weighing them down with an even larger device.
It does this by going virtually edge to edge on the front of the device with a display that has an 18:9 aspect ratio and a Quad HD resolution of 2,880 x 1,440.
An average consumer spends up to half a day looking at screen viewing videos, interacting on social media and multi-tasking, according to LG which is why the screen size and shape became such a focus for the G6.
The LG G6 is also the first mobile device to support Dolby Vision and HDR (high dynamic range) 10 for an even wider range of colour and contrast.
And LG has ticked another box by making the device easy to use with one hand despite the larger display thanks to ergonomics research led by teams from Pennsylvania State University.
The tested the G6 for stability, comfort in various postures and actions and even muscle fatigue when using the device for extended periods.
It took quite a designing feat to shoehorn a screen of this size into the aluminum and glass body.
The narrow bezels and rearranged components made extra room for the display but also allowed for rounded corners to disperse impact if the phone is dropped.
On the camera side, the G6 has a dual lens 13-megapixel rear camera that’s flush with the curved rear panel. It also includes a 125-degree wide angle lens so users can easily capture panoramic shots.
The front 5-megapixel camera also has a wider field of view to fit even more people into your selfies.
The LG G6 can also shoot 4K video.
And with the 18:9 screen aspect ratio, this enables the Square Camera Mode where recent pictures appear in one window with the other featuring the live view so you can reviews photos will still capturing images and video.
The LG G6 is also water resistant with an IP68 rating so it can handle any little accidents.
Google Assistant is also onboard so you can use your voice for searches and to access your content.
It will be available in three colours – Astro Black, Ice Platinum and Mystic White.
– Chipset: Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 821 Processor
– Display: 5.7-inch 18:9 QHD+ FullVision Display (2880 x 1440 / 564ppi)
– Memory: 4GB LPDDR4 RAM / 32GB or 64GB UFS 2.0 ROM / MicroSD (up to 2TB)
– Rear Dual: 13MP Wide (F2.4 / 125°) / 13MP Standard OIS 2.0 (F1.8 / 71°)
– Front 5MP Wide (F2.2 / 100°)
– Battery: 3,300mAh (embedded)
– Operating System: Android 7.0 Nougat
– Size: 148.9 x 71.9 x 7.9mm
– Weight: 163g
– Network: LTE-A 3 Band CA
– Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a, b, g, n, ac / Bluetooth 4.2 BLE / NFC / USB Type-C 2.0 (3.1 compatible)
– Colours: Astro Black / Ice Platinum / Mystic White
– Other: Water and Dust Resistant / Fingerprint Sensor / UX 6.0 / Dolby Vision™ / HDR10 / Qualcomm Quick Charge™ 3.0 / 32-bit Hi-Fi Quad DAC
* Stephen Fenech travelled to Barcelona as a guest of Huawei