How to Download Checkra1n on iPhone
At one time, jailbreaking was the one thing iOS users looked forward to. Every time a new iOS firmware was released, a new utility was sure to follow soon after. That all came to a halt in 2008, when Apple finally succeeded in stopping the jailbreak developers in their tracks.
However, things have changed once again, and the developers are back with a vengeance, releasing several new jailbreaks over the last couple of years. One of the best for iOS 13 and above is called Checkra1n, and here’s all you need to know about it.
Things to Know:
Before downloading Checkra1n on your device, there are a few things you need to be aware of:
- Checkra1n requires your computer to install it on your device, and the only macOS is supported – Windows is not supported
- It is semi-untethered and must be reactivated whenever your device is rebooted
- Support is provided for A5-A11 64-bit devices on iOS 12-14
- iPhone 5S, iPad Air, and iPad 2/3 users will find this is only an experimental tool right now
- Cydia is used for the package manager, but others can be added, and future updates will bring support for more.
How to Download Checkra1n:
If your setup meets these requirements, you can install Checkra1n:
- Back your device data up using iTunes or iCloud
- Connect your iPhone or iPad to your Mac
- If the Trust This Computer message appears, tap Yes
- Download the Checkra1n jailbreak
- Find the .dmg file and double-click it
- Drag Checkra1n into your Applications folder
- Open the folder and right-click the file
- Click Show Package Contents > Checkra1n > contents > macOS
- Double-click on the checkra1n_gui file and wait
- When the jailbreak opens, make sure your device has been detected
- Click on Start, and you will be asked to place your device into DFU mode
- Click on Next > Start and follow the on-screen directions – be patient as this may take a few attempts
- Once your iPhone has successfully been placed into DFU mode, the jailbreak will begin
- You will see the verbose boot screen on your device while the jailbreak is doing its work – once done, close the app
- Launch Checkra1n from your device and tap on Cydia > Install Cydia
- Once the jailbreak has finished setting up, you will see Cydia on your home screen
Installing Sileo Store:
If you don’t want to use the Cydia package manager, you can add the Sileo repository to Cydia:
- Open Cydia and tap on Sources
- Tap on Edit > Adds and type getsileo.app into the URL field
- Tap on Add Source and wait – Cydia will install the Sileo repository
Note that, should you choose Sileo as your package manager, Cydia will be uninstalled, and the default shell changed to zsh.
How to Delete Checkra1n Jailbreak
If you want to remove Checkra1n from your device, it is easy enough to do. If you have no intentions of jailbreaking again, you can simply use iTunes to restore your device. If you need to delete it but still want to install it again, download Cydia Eraser from Cydia – this way, you can retain your current iOS version:
- Download Cydia Eraser and launch it
- Tap on Delete All Data and Jailbreak Your Device
- Tap Delete All and wait – this may take a while
- Your iPhone will now reboot, and the jailbreak will be deleted, leaving your device in its original state
- Set up your device and install Checkra1n again when you are ready
Frequently Asked Questions:
Checkra1n is one of the more popular choices of jailbreaks, but we still hear a lot of questions about the utility. These are the frequently asked ones:
What is Checkra1n?
Checkra1n is one of the latest jailbreaks, supporting iOS 12 to 14. It is a semi-untethered jailbreak based on the checkm8 bootrom exploit, with an active community that keeps it safe and updated.
Does it Work on Windows?
No, the only macOS is supported at the moment, but Windows support is expected in the near future. Windows users can use the Unc0ver jailbreak instead, just as stable and reliable as Checkra1n.
Is it Safe?
Yes. The jailbreak was tested thoroughly before being released and is under constant monitoring. Any issues that arise are immediately fixed with an update that you must install to ensure the safety of your jailbreak. It is also reliable and stable but doesn’t forget – your device data must be backed up before you begin.
Are you ready to jailbreak your device again? If your iPhone or iPad meets the criteria and you want to give it a go, download Checkra1n and get back into the swing of things. Download all your favorite apps, tweaks, mods, and more safely and quickly, and get back to doing what you love the most.