Netgear has just revealed Orbi – a new home router that can provide fast wi-fi and solve one of the biggest problems – giving you consistent and reliable coverage in all parts of your home.
The Netgear Orbi is not just one device but actually two.
One is the Orbi Router and the other is the Orbi Satellite and together they can cover up to 4,000 square feet of your home through barriers like walls, stairs and doors.
The big difference with Orbi is the slick new design.
Gone are the flashing lights, antennas and rectangular shape and in its place is an elegant and curved design that would look good anywhere in your home.
Orbi is a tri-band wi-fi system that can provide a consistent connection so you won’t get any buffering while your streaming a movie and you’ll keep up with your competitors with online gaming.
And the system will work with your current ISP’s (Internet Service Provider’s) modem and maximise your connection’s speed.
Orbi will work right out of the box and can be set up with a smartphone app.
It also uses a single wi-fi network name throughout your home and allow users to move from room to room with seamless and consistent coverage.
The Orbi Router can be positioned next to your existing modem with the Orbi Satellite placed close to the centre of your home.
The difference between the Orbi Satellite and a regular range extender is that Orbi provides a single wi-fi network for your home rather than repeating a signal and creating a different wi-fi network – one for the router and one for the range extender.
The Orbi system is also expandable with additional Orbi Satellites if you need wider coverage or live in a particularly large home.
Pricing and release date for Australian customers is yet to be revealed but we’re expecting it well before Christmas.
And in terms of pricing we can take the $US399 price tag as an indicator and estimated it will probably cost about $700 here for the Orbi Router and Orbi Satelite package.
– Wireless Connectivity: AC3000 (1733 + 866 + 400Mbps)†
– Simultaneous Tri-Band WiFi: IEEE® 802.11b/g/n 2.4GHz–256QAM support, IEEE® 802.11a/n/ac 5GHz–256QAM support
– Memory : 4GB Flash and 512MB RAM
– Antenna: Six (6) high-performance antennas with high-powered amplifiers
– Beamforming: Implicit/Explicit Beamforming for 2.4 & 5GHz bands (1733 + 866 + 400Mbps), MU-MIMO, MU-MIMO capable for simultaneous data streaming on multiple devices.
– Ports: Four (4) 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet ports 1 WAN + 3 LAN for Router 4 LAN for Satellite One (1) USB 2.0 port.