ELLE Magazine has created history by becoming the first Australian magazine to shoot both its cover and fashion editorial using the iPhone 7 Plus. The magazine went on sale this week.
In the expert hands of leading Australian fashion photographer Georges Antoni, the iPhone 7 Plus captured stunning images of fashion influencer Margaret Zhang on Sydney’s Bondi Beach using Portrait Mode.
“One thing that struck me was how liberating it was to shoot and not worry about lenses, tripods, tethering to the computer, etc,” said Antoni.
“It’s also such an interesting dynamic to see how the public are so conditioned to seeing people shooting on their phones that they don’t really take notice, so the shoot could happen in a much more stealth way.”
Justine Cullen, editor-in-chief of ELLE Australia, said: “Since launch, ELLE Australia has always been the place where fashion meets pop culture and innovation, and nowhere is that junction more apparent than with this beautiful cover.
“Our phones these days are not only the truly ‘must-have’ accessory, they’re also an extension of who we are. We are thrilled to bring this Australian first to life.”
So how do you take a cover worthy shot with your iPhone?
Here are Georges Antoni’s tips:
– Always have your phone close by, and use the home screen shortcut to the camera setting. The best thing about the iPhone camera, is that it is always on you. It is every photographer’s dream to have a camera within milliseconds of seeing a shot. So knowing how to get into it quickly and capture that moment is awesome.
– Use the exposure slider and focus lock when shooting: the internal exposure meter of the iPhone is pretty blooming good, but you can craft a picture to your own taste more by changing the brightness of the photo by using the slider on the image screen. I can’t live without that.
– Use the iPhone up close and personal: You can get in really close to a subject on an iPhone, so go macro and take some close-up photo. It’s fun to see what you end up with.
– Portrait mode on iPhone 7 Plus: You can look like a professional photographer when taking pictures by using portrait mode to blur out the world and focus your viewer on the subject. As a photographer, I choose some very, very expensive lenses so I can do exactly what Portrait Mode does. Get on board – the people you are shooting will love you for it.
– Keep your eyes open: There are many other iPhone tips, but this one is a general photography tip: There are beautiful and interesting things everywhere in your life. You just need to notice them. Think of your iPhone as a recording device of all the beauty in your life. For me if I capture it, it somehow feels more real.