Apple has launched its latest range of next-generation Mac computers – MacBook Air, 13-inch MacBook Pro and Mac Mini – that are powered by the new breakthrough M1 chip that will offer a new level of performance and unprecedented battery life.
The new M1 chip with an 8-core CPU and 8-core GPU was unveiled by Apple today and the company says it will transform the Mac experience with up to 3.5x faster CPU performance, up to 6x faster GPU performance and up twice as much battery life.
Also onboard the new Macs is the latest macOS Big Sur which ties the hardware and processor performance together to give users an unprecedented Mac experience.
The new MacBook Air, 13-inch MacBook Pro and Mac Mini will go on sale in Australia next week.
MACBOOK AIR – From $1,599
The MacBook Air is Apple’s most popular laptop and the world’s best-selling 13-inch notebook computer.
The new M1-powered MacBook Air will offer up to 3.5x faster performance and up to 5x faster graphics performance so it can run graphics-intensive games at higher frame rates.
The M1’s chip storage controller also deliver up to 2x faster SSD (solid state drive) performance so you can access your files, documents, photos and videos even faster.
Thanks to the power efficiency of the M1, MacBook Air now has a fanless design so it’s completely silent no matter what you’re doing.
And the biggest improvement you’ll notice is the battery life which can offer up to 15 hours of wireless web browsing and up to 18 hours of video playback.
When compared to the previous generation, the M1-powered MacBook Air can:
– Export a project for the web with iMovie up to 3x faster.
– Integrate 3D effects into video in Final Cut Pro up to 5x faster.
– For the first time, play back and edit multiple streams of full-quality, 4K ProRes video in Final Cut Pro without dropping a frame.
– Export photos from Lightroom up to twice as fast.
– Use ML-based features like Smart Conform in Final Cut Pro to intelligently frame a clip up to 4.3x faster.
– Watch more movies and TV shows with up to 18 hours of battery life, the longest ever on MacBook Air.
– Extend FaceTime and other video calls for up to twice as long on a single charge.
13-INCH MACBOOK PRO – From $1,999
The 13-inch MacBook Pro is Apple’s most popular pro notebook and is popular with creative professionals and university students.
With M1 and macOS Big Sur onboard, the 13-inch MacBook Pro reaches an all-new level.
The 8-core CPU offers up to 2.8x faster performance, up to 5x faster graphics performance and up to 17 hours of wireless web browsing and an impressive 20 hours of video playback.
The MacBook Pro now offers up to twice the battery life as the previous model.
Also onboard is studio quality mics and two Thunderbolt ports with USB 4 support.
When compared to the previous generation, the M1-powered 13-inch MacBook Pro can:
– Build code in Xcode up to 2.8x faster.
– Render a complex 3D title in Final Cut Pro up to 5.9x faster.
– Fluidly design intricate game scenes in Unity Editor up to 3.5x faster.
– Perform ML tasks in Create ML up to 11x faster.
– Separate out beats, instrumentals and vocal tracks from a recording in real time in djay Pro AI, thanks to the amazing performance of the Neural Engine.
– Play back full-quality, 8K ProRes video in DaVinci Resolve without dropping a single frame.
– Compile four times as much code on a single charge, thanks to the game-changing performance per watt of the M1 chip.
MAC MINI – From $1,099
The versatile Mac Mini might have a compact design but it now offers a new level of performance with the new M1 chip onboard.
It offers up to 3x faster performance and up to 6x increase in graphics performance.
The Mac Mini also has a new thermal design so it stays cool and whisper quiet.
When compared to the previous generation, the M1-powered Mac mini can:
– Compile code in Xcode up to 3x faster.
– Play a graphics-intensive game like “Shadow of the Tomb Raider” with up to 4x higher frame rates.
– Render a complex timeline in Final Cut Pro up to 6x faster.
– Take music production to new levels by using up to 3x as many real-time plug-ins in Logic Pro.
– Magically increase the resolution of a photo in Pixelmator Pro up to 15x faster.
– Utilise ML frameworks like TensorFlow or Create ML, now accelerated by the M1 chip.