Australian company Rode has released the new VideoMic NTG – an on-camera shotgun mic that can also be used in a variety of different ways.
The Rode VideoMic NTG sits on top of your camera and can provide high quality audio for your videos.
The compact mic can automatically detect whether it is connected to a camera or a mobile device and switch to accommodate that recording mode.
Users can easily tailor their output with variable gain control from line to mic level and headphone level.
It has digital switching onboard and a dB peak warning light.
The Rode VideoMic NTG also has a built-in rechargeable battery that can run for more than 30 hours on a single charge.
Also included with the Rode VideoMic is a high-quality shock mount which offers precise positioning on the camera’s cold shoe as well as neat cable management.
The versatile microphone can also be added to a boom pole.
The Rode VideoMic NTG is also a USB mic which means it can be connected to a computer to record directly.
Users can also connect headphones to the mic’s 3.5mm jack to monitor the audio.
It is a lot more than just an on-camera mic.
Rode’s VideoMic NTG is equally at home on top of a DSLR or mirrorless camera as it is when used with a smartphone rig or with a smaller camera or on the end of a boom pole or pistol grip.
The Rode VideoMic NTG is available now and is priced at $249.
KEY FEATURES OF THE VIDEOMIC NTG
– Revolutionary acoustic design – first introduced with the NTG5 – which delivers unmatched acoustic transparency and a natural, uncoloured sound.
– Highly directional supercardioid polar pattern and very flat frequency response – it sounds superb in a wide range of filmmaking, broadcast, and content creation applications.
– Unique infinitely variable gain control, allowing the user to precisely adjust the mic’s output, from mic level to line level to headphone level.
– Auto-sensing 3.5mm output automatically switches between TRS and TRRS to accommodate both cameras (TRS) and mobile devices (TRRS) – no need for adaptor cables.
– USB output – turns the VideoMic NTG into a fully-featured USB microphone that can record direct to a computer, tablet, or smartphone.
– Headphone output – for seamless audio monitoring (while using the USB output).
– Digital switching – controls high-pass filter, – 20dB pad, high frequency boost, and safety channel.
– dB peak warning light – to ensure distortion-free audio.
– In-built rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides 30+ hours of recording – more than enough for the most demanding shoots. Charges via USB-C in just 2 hours.
– High-quality Rycote® Lyre® shock mounting with cable management, plus a sliding rail mount to adjust mic placement on a camera cold shoe.
– Lightweight (just 94g) and rugged – aerospace-grade aluminium construction