Australian consumer electronics company Laser has unveiled and a new in-car touch screen display which allows drivers to enjoy the complete Apple CarPlay an Android Auto experience.
The Navigh8r 7-inch Portable Wireless Touchscreen is priced at $169 and brings Apple’s CarPlay and Android Auto to vehicles which previously didn’t support these interfaces.
The device offers convenient and safe access to your smartphone while you’re driving including navigation and music streaming apps.
While more recent vehicles already support CarPlay and Android Auto, drivers with older vehicles and many second hand car buyers now have an easy plug and play way to access this latest technology to make their cars smarter and to improve the driving experience.
The Navigh8r 7-inch Portable Wireless Touchscreen is a snap to install and intuitively easy to use.
Drivers can even use their voice with Siri or Google Assistant to access features and issue commands and even send and receive messages.
The integrated apps include navigation apps like Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze and more along with music through Apple Music, Spotify, Amazon and many more.
On the messaging side users can access WhatsApp, text messages and easily make and receive calls and access their favourite podcasts.
“With road trip season just around the corner, and the rising demand around in-car smartphone integration, the role of portable options is becoming incredibly popular,” said Chris Lau, Managing Director of Laser Corporation and Head of the Navig8r brand.
“We see this as a handsfree extension of your phone, great for gifting and ideal to make any ‘dumb’ car a smart one.
“It also continues our ongoing commitment to deliver such a compelling option that is well under $200.”
Navig8r 7” Portable Wireless Touchscreen – Key Features:
– Navigation – Whether the user prefers Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze, or another mapping product, latest maps can be integrated with real time features just as would be seen on your smartphone. The user can issue voice instructions to get directions while driving.
– Music – stream, cast, or play favourite songs, playlists, and podcasts. Any app on the users smartphone such as Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music and so on can be displayed on the touchscreen, and songs and actions undertaken with voice command.
– Messaging – touchless and by voice. Whether using WhatsApp, SMS, WeChat or other messaging platforms, the user can have messages read aloud, or simply speak aloud speech to be converted to text ready to send.
– Handsfree calling – Leave your phone in your pocket and dial numbers or contacts simply by talking. Use voice commands to check your calendar, play podcasts or engage in a team’s meeting.
– AirPlay and MiraCast – cast content from your phone (or tablet) onto the screen. Kids can watch streaming services from your phone on the screen when used in the backseat. While this feature might be restricted in cars with CarPlay built-in, the Navig8r Portable Wireless Touchscreen has multiple uses even out of the car thanks to its portability.
– Powered by USB – take it anywhere and keep it powered through any USB power source
– 7″ LCD screen with IPS – Using a high quality In-Plane-Switching LCD panel, the 7″ screen offers improved colour accuracy and consistency as well as a wider viewing angle.
– Bluetooth & Wi-Fi – Wireless connection from your smartphone means the phone can be left in the users pocket, handbag or backpack. Once connected, the pairing is saved so that next time the user gets into the car their phone is automatically re-connected.
– FM transmitter – with a choice of preset stations on the device, it can be simply tuned to FM radio to be enjoyed via the cars audio system or the device’s built-in speaker.
– Extendable Windscreen mount – offers a variety of installation options from close to the driver to a centrally located position. The extendable windscreen mount is adaptable for all windscreen types.
Add-On Accessory Available – Navig8r Reverse Camera – $29.95
Small enough to be mounted in the tightest of spaces, the Navig8r universal reversing camera is suited for any monitor device accepting a 3.5mm phono plug. Once installed, it offers the driver a clear view of what’s behind the car… night or day, rain or shine. The camera has HD 720p resolution and night vision and has an IP67 weatherproof rating.
Pricing and Availability:
The Navig8r 7” Portable Wireless Touchscreen is priced at $169 and is available now at Harvey Norman. The Navig8r Add-On Reverse Camera is priced at $29.95.