Scribd launches subscription service so you can read and listen to the latest books
If you love reading and listening to books there’s a new subscription service called Scribd that’s just launched in Australia to offer access to millions of premium titles.
Customers will be able to access books, audiobooks, podcasts, magazine articles – and even sheet music.
Available for $13.99 a month, Scribd allows access through its iOS and Android apps as well as via a browser.
The service has launched with titles from major publishers including Murdoch Books, Simon & Schuster Australia, HarperCollins Publishers Australia and Fremantle Press.
There is also Scribd Originals – Scribd’s own exclusive and original content on the platform as well.
Scribd, which is already established in other countries around the world, with more than 100 million subscribers.
The consumer book category in Australia is still worth near $2bn annually and Scribd has huge ambitions to invest in the local market.
“We’re thrilled to be shining a light on great Australian authors and content,” says Andrew Weinstein vice president of content and acquisition and strategy at Scribd.
“Scribd has a long history of building relationships with publishers, and we’re committed to helping drive incremental revenue to the local publishing ecosystem.
“We know reading ranks among the top three leisure activities in Australia and we look forward to helping nurture this love of reading.”
Scribd is also offering a localised product experience for users with editorial recommendations which included reading lists for Australian audiences and local Australian content recommendations as well as local pricing.
Users can search for books and audiobooks in all the popular genres and also have access to the articles from the latest issues of a range of popular magazines.
Customers can sign up to a free 30-day trial before being charged $13.99 a month moving forward.
If you love reading, Scribd offers a value service that can feed your appetite for books and audiobooks.
Notable Australian Titles by Australian Authors
– Boy Swallows Universe by Trent Dalton (HarperCollins Australia)
– Penguin Bloom by Cameron Bloom & Bradley Trevor Greive (HarperCollins Australia)
– Scrublands by Chris Hammer (Allen & Unwin)
– The Museum of Modern Love by Heather Rose (Allen & Unwin)
– The Dry, Force of Nature, The Lost Man by Jane Harper (W.F Howes Audio)
– Tell Me Why: The Story of my Life and Music by Archie Roach (Simon and Schuster)
– The Mother Fault by Kate Mildenhall (Simon and Schuster)
– The Paris Affair by Pip Drysdale (Simon and Schuster)
Notable Titles by International Authors
– A Spark of Light by Jodi Picoult (Allen & Unwin)
– Normal People by Sally Rooney (W.F Howes Audio)
– The Silent Wife by Karin Slaughter (HarperCollins Australia)
– The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson (HarperAudio)
– The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn (HarperCollins UK Audio)
– The Fast 800 – Dr Michael Mosley (Simon and Schuster)