Modern technology gives us many things.

iPhone 4 overheats, emits smoke on flight

0
iphonenewthumbheated iphone

A regional aircraft travelling from Lismore to Sydney was put on alert after a passenger’s iPhone 4 overheated and began emitting dense smoke.

A flight attendant on Regional Express (Rex) flight ZL319 carried out standard safety procedures late last week after the passenger’s device started glowing red.

The iPhone 4 got so hot it shattered the rear glass panel centred above where the battery is located. No one was injured.  

The device was handed over to the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) and the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) for investigation, according to a Regional Express statement.

Apple Australia will be working with official during the investigation.

“We have no previous records of iPhones undergoing spontaneous self-ignition,” a spokesman for the Australian Transport and Safety Bureau (ATSB) told the AFP news agency.

“We do have the phone, it’s in our custody, and we will be undertaking a technical examination of it.”

The iPhone 4 which overheated and emitted dense smoke during a flight from Lismore to Sydney last week

This is not the first time a customer has experienced overheating with a device’s rechargeable battery.

In 2008 Sony was forced to recall more than 400,000 Vaio laptops worldwide after incidents of battery overheating.

The safety recall also affected other brands of computers like Dell, Toshiba and Acer which also used Sony rechargeable batteries.

Related Stories

Apple iOS update to fix battery issue now available

Apple confirms update to address iOS 5 battery issue

First weekend sales of iPhone 4S tops four million