Leading drone manufacturer DJI has just released its latest drone – the Mavic 3 – a major improvement to the world’s most popular drone series to set a new level of possibilities for aerial photography.
The new DJI Mavic 3 has been redesigned from front to back to maintain its spot as the world’s best and most popular drone.
It has a new 4/3 CMOS Hasselblad camera and 28x hybrid zoom camera with a 24mm prime lens to shoot 20-megapixel still images in 12-bit RAW format and videos in 5.1K at 50fps and 4K at 120fps so you can shoot smoother footage and have more generous cropping possibilities as well as allowances for slow motion video at 120fps.
It has a larger image sensor which not only gives the Mavic 3 higher video resolution and dynamic range but also effectively reduces noise in low light environments.
The drone has an adjustable aperture of F/2.8 to F/11 which is able to meet the needs of aerial photographers in a wide variety of lighting situations which will result in sharper and clearer images.
The 24mm equivalent autofocus lens has an 84- degree field of view while the second camera features a 162mm tele lens with 28x hybrid zoom (digital + optical) add an aperture of F/4.4 to bring distant objects visually closer.
Mavic 3 also has a new vision detection autofocus technology for faster focusing to allow the Hasselblad camera to work with multiple vision sensors to capture distance data to optimise focusing speed.
The DJI Mavic 3 can record aerial videos at high resolutions and framerates and capture up to 1 billion colours thanks to the 10-bit D-Log colour profile.
Also onboard is an improved obstacle sensing and navigation system to help pilots stay safe.
The APAS 5.0 takes inputs from six fisheye vision sensors and two wide angle sensors which are always on the lookout for obstacles in all directions to allow for a safe flight route even in complicated environments.
The improved obstacle sensing system also makes for better subject tracking with the upgraded ActiveTrack 5.0.
The previous versions allow the camera to follow a subject as it move directly toward and away from the drone while remaining largely stationary as well as flying alongside a moving subject.
Now ActiveTrack 5.0 allows Mavic 3 to move with the subject as it moves forward, backward, left or right and diagonally and fly alongside as well as around a moving object.
Mavic 3 also includes an improved positioning algorithm with signals from GPS which makes hovering precision even higher thanks to its ability to lock onto multiple satellite signals faster than ever.
This increased hovering accuracy means added stability when shooting long exposures and timelapses.
On the battery side, the Mavic 3 has improved power management to enable even longer flight times up to 45 minutes in ideal conditions to give aerial photographers even more freedom to shoot their scenes.
DJI has developed motors and propellers with higher energy efficiency and created a high-capacity battery while reducing the weight of the drone structure and components.
In designing the Mavic 3, DJI who also streamline the shape of the arms body and gimbal to increase aerodynamics so it now produces 35 per cent less drag than previous iterations.
Intelligent Modes for Unlimited Possibilities
– MasterShots lets users create high-quality content more easily and quickly. After automatic editing and dubbing in the app, videos can be created in minutes and directly shared with friends.
– Panorama Mode in Mavic 3 allows pictures to be directly stitched and processed by the drone, without the DJI Fly App or any post-production, allowing users to capture breathtaking landscapes with sweeping breadth and rich detail.
– QuickTransfer lets users store and process materials on their mobile devices without linking with the remote controller. Mavic 3 can now transmit materials from the drone to the mobile device more quickly through the Wi-Fi 6 protocol.
New, Advanced Accessories
– The new smart controller DJI RC Pro offers a smoother control experience, upgraded with enhanced antenna power for an extended transmission distance of up to 15 km. Its 1000-nit high-bright screen allows better vision and control for outdoor flights. Its battery system offers an extended operating time of up to three hours and charging as fast as 90 minutes.
– The DJI 65W Portable Charger allows a fast-charging option with a charging time of approximately 96 minutes and is compatible with current notebooks and smartphones thanks to its USB Type-C output.
– The DJI Convertible Carrying Bag features an entirely new design with a backpack and shoulder bag configuration for taking Mavic 3, accessories, a laptop, and even clothes and other personal items for a weekend trip in style.
– The DJI Mavic 3 Wide-Angle Lens offers an FOV of up to 108° for a more immersive FPV-style flight experience.
– The DJI Mavic 3 Storage Cover uses a lightweight, minimalist design to protect the camera, gimbal, and propellers when folding and transporting Mavic 3.
– The DJI ND Filters Set comes in two ranges – ND4/8/16/32 and ND64/128/256/512 – and lets the camera excel in any bright lighting condition.
– The DJI 10Gbps Lightspeed Data Cable enables users to download materials from the drone to their computer at high speed. Material backup is available on-site, thanks to high-speed transmission.
The DJI Mavic is available now and starts at $3.099.
– The Mavic 3 Standard version retails for $3,099 AUD and includes Mavic 3 drone × 1, Intelligent Flight Battery × 1, RC-N1 Remote Controller × 1, RC-N1 Cable × 3, Battery Charger × 1, Storage Cover × 1, Propellers (pair) × 3, and other essential items.
– The DJI Mavic 3 Fly More Combo retails for $4,199 AUD and includes Mavic 3 drone × 1, Intelligent Flight Battery × 3, RC-N1 Remote Controller × 1, RC -N1 Cable × 3, Battery Charger × 1, Battery Charging Hub × 1, Storage Cover × 1, Propellers (pair) × 6, ND Filters Set (ND4\8\16\32), Convertible Carrying Bag × 1, and other essential items.
– The DJI Mavic 3 Cine Premium Combo retails for $7,199 AUD, includes a built-in 1TB SSD, and supports Apple ProRes 422 HQ video recording. The Mavic 3 Cine Premium Combo also has more extensive contents, including: Mavic 3 Cine drone × 1, Intelligent Flight Battery × 3, DJI RC Pro × 1, Battery Charger × 1, Battery Charging Hub × 1, Storage Cover × 1, Propellers (pair) × 6, ND Filters Set (ND4\8\16\32), ND Filters Set (ND64\128\256\512), Convertible Carrying Bag, DJI 10Gbps Lightspeed Data Cable, and other essential items.