Part of the attraction of hit show Game of Thrones are its exotic locations and that’s had a huge impact on tourism with interest in these destinations is going through the roof, according to TripAdvisor.
Since the show began in 2012, it has had a dramatic effect on tourism with some locations including Spain, Croatia and Ireland seeing up to a 2,270 per cent increase after appearing on the show.
The seventh season of Game of Thrones premieres next week and is sure to act as a travel brochure for tourists eager to see where their beloved TV show was shot.
TripAdvisor says Spain’s Castle of Zafra has experienced a 488 per cent increase in interest since its appearance in Game of Thrones season six.
Osuna’s bullfighting ring – used the Fighting Pits of Mereen, has also seen a 215 per cent spike in tourism.
Tour operators have now jumped on the bandwagon with a number of Game of Thrones tours.
Here are the top 10 most booked Game of Thrones tours on TripAdvisor:
- Viator Exclusive: ‘Game of Thrones’ Walking Tour of Dubrovnik. Discover Game of Thrones (GOT) film sites of Old Town of Dubrovnik on this guided walking tour that takes in the real-life attractions used for some of the show’s fictional locations including Lovrijenac Fortress, Blackwater Bay and a trip to Trsteno Arboretum.
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Filming Locations Tour From Reykjavik, Iceland. Travelers can visit GOT filming locations on this full-day guided tour, including Thingvellir National Park (a UNESCO World Heritage Site), Iceland’s largest geothermal power stations at Nesjavellir, Lake Thingvallavatn’s panoramic vistas as well as Thjorsárdalur valley.
- ‘Game of Thrones’ and Giant’s Causeway Full-Day Tour from Belfast, UK Kristian Nairn, member of the ensemble cast, recently surprised unsuspecting fans on this popular GOT tour. Travelers can see the magical locations where GOT is filmed on a full-day tour of the UNESCO-listed Giant’s Causeway and Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge. Fans visit key filming locations, such as the caves and Dark Hedges road, while listening to inside gossip about popular characters.
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Film Location Tour from Dublin Including Giant’s Causeway, Ireland. Discover sites made famous from GOT visiting beautiful locations such as the Dark Hedges, the Cushendun Caves, Ballintoy Harbour and Larrybane. There are also photo opportunities at the iconic ruin of Dunluce Castle and Giant’s Causeway.
- Viator Exclusive: ‘Game of Thrones’ Tour in Split, Croatia. Get an insider’s view of GOT on this 3.5-hour guided walking tour in Split. A local guide provides a behind-the-scenes look, learning about spots in the fictional city of Meereen and the fortress of Klis, before ending at Diocletian’s Palace.
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Filming Locations Tour from Belfast including Giant’s Causeway, UK Travelers embark on an epic journey through the Seven Kingdoms on this full-day tour of Northern Ireland’s GOT filming locations, such as Dark Hedges, Cushendun Caves and Carrickfergus Castle. Along the way, marvel at natural wonders like the Giant’s Causeway, see the Titanic Studios and walk the notorious Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge.
- Game of Thrones Tour with Karaka Cruise and Dubrovnik Walking Tour, Croatia. Sail into the fantastical world of GOT with this action-packed 2-hour cruise and walking tour throughout King’s Landing. Board the same ship that Daenerys Targaryen sailed and then walk through Dubrovnik’s Old Town to discover where other famous scenes were set.
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Filming Locations Tour in Malta. Travelers discover the Lands of Ice and Fire on this full-day tour of Malta’s GOT filming locations. On this tour, which was designed and is led by two actors who appeared on the series, travelers get up close to the ancient forts, parkland and streets that set the scene for the Red Keep and King’s Landing.
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Location Tour from Belfast including Giant’s Causeway, UK. Explore sites made famous in GOT, and explore the Causeway Coastal Route with panoramic views over the countryside. Visit top local attractions including Cushendun Caves, Ballintoy Harbour and Larrybane, Giant’s Causeway and the Dark Hedges.
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Guided Day Trip to Girona from Barcelona, Spain. Follow in the footsteps of the Lannisters and the Targaryens on this 8-hour GOT–themed tour in Girona. Explore the medieval city through the eyes of key characters, sample King’s Hand ice cream, and enjoy free time to see the city’s Roman walls, Jewish district and more.